ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

VHF/UHF FM Voice?

Dec 17th 2020, 22:17

KJ7WUZ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
The widow of a silent key has gifted me a Radio Shack HTX-202 and two Radio Shack HTX-40s.

I am studying for my Tech ticket.

I have tried monitoring 2m and 70cm and it seems the transmissions are mostly digital now, rather than phone, now. Am I correct in assuming this?

I was fortunate to hear a new Ham in his first time ever doing a net coordination... The older tickets were encouraging and giving him some pointers.

I hope to test soon, COVID allowing.... Our Gov is keeping us all buttoned down

Dec 17th 2020, 22:53

W1VT

Super Moderator

The usage of short range voice communication by hams varies depending on location. In some areas it is still useful for emergency communication and local nets. In others, it was widely popular when new but that was only a brief fad. Your Section Manager or a local club may be able to advise you on the situation in your area.

http://www.arrl.org/sections
http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Dec 22nd 2020, 16:36

WA0CBW

In most areas analog FM is probably predominately the most popular but there may also repeaters using Digital FM modes such as DMR, Fusion and D-star. As Zak said check with your local clubs or search Google for repeaters in your area.

Bill - WA0CBW
ARRL Technical Coordinator -Kansas Section
Dec 31st 2020, 19:10

KJ7PVJ

Search for repeaters in your area using your Googlefu. Start by monitoring your repeaters. There may be some ham nets in your area. Search for local clubs and their Website should show what’s available.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn