ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Change ARRL email forwarding address?

Nov 15th 2018, 17:36

KG6POV

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
How do I change my email alias address for the email forwarding feature? I originally set it up with an att.net account, but I no longer have access to that address.

I changed my member profile to my new email address and I'm getting announcements, ARES E-letters, etc delivered as expected. However, the forwarding address was not updated.

I tried to 'force' the system to update my address. I 'unchecked' the 'opt-in' email account box on my profile page and saved my profile. Then I closed and reopened the profile page, checked the opt-in box and saved again. But I'm still getting messages rejected by the att.net account so my emails are not being forwarded to my new email address.

Any thoughts?

Wes Freeman
kg6pov

Nov 15th 2018, 20:41

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.arrl.org/member-support

This page has detailed information on testing the email forwarding. It suggests waiting six hours for the forwarding to update.
To Test Your @arrl.net Alias
*Please allow approximately 6 hours for the e-mail forwarding service to activate after you have selected or modified the information*

Please send a test e-mail from an account other than the address in the "E-mail" field in your profile. Test messages cannot be sent to yourself.

For Example, your e-mail address is jsmith@comcast.net and your arrl.net alias is xxxxx@arrl.net. If you send a message from jsmith@comcast.net to your xxxxx@arrl.net alias the message will not forward back into your jsmith@comcast.net inbox. Send a test message from an alternate account to get a reliable test and avoid a bounced message.

Note: You cannot have your e-mail set to forward to your xxxx@arrl.net alias. This action causes a mail routing loop and mail will fail to be delivered. Also, a bounced message usually does not get generated in this situation.

For Example, your e-mail address is jsmith@comcast.net and your arrl.net alias is xxxxx@arrl.net. You cannot have jsmith@comcast.net forwarding to your xxxxx@arrl.net alias.

Note: A common bounce message that is received through the arrl.net forwarding is the "User unknown" bounce.

This may mean that you are not opted-in for the forwarding service or you are not a current active member of ARRL. Please make sure you are opted-in to use the arrl.net forwarding service and you are a current active member of ARRL.

Example of a bounce message:

c-pb-mx-quonix.pobox.com rejected your message to the following e-mail addresses:

w6dmg@arrl.net (w6dmg@arrl.net)

c-pb-mx-quonix.pobox.com gave this error:
: Recipient address rejected: User unknown

Note: Average spam messages per @arrl.net alias per day are between 5 - 10 messages. ARRL does not filter @arrl.net aliases on a per user basis. If you find that you are receiving excess of 10 messages per day, please e-mail itstaff@arrl.org.

Please remember that not all spam going into your e-mail inbox is from the arrl.net forwarding service. Examination of the header information is needed to find if the message came through the arrl.net forwarding service.

Note: If you find that mail is slow to be delivered or seems to be completely down please visit https://twitter.com/pobox to find out what may be happening with our third party arrl.net provider.

Why doesn’t my arrl.net address work when I try to test it?

Note: If a message is sent from the same address that is receiving the message (ie your arrl.net destination address), it is very likely that the message will be silently deleted. This happens to prevent spam from being sent with forged mail headers or to prevent the possibility of the message looping. This filtering is being done by the sending and/or receiving ISPs and NOT by ARRL, therefore ARRL has no control over what occurs with these messages.

Note: Over time ARRL has seen an increasing number of ISP’s implementing these checks, and the responding to the situation in different ways. Some silently drop messages, others might generate a rejection or bounce message. Some have even taken the steps of banning future messages from the same email address or even email server.

For further assistance with your @arrl.net forwarding service, Contact Us.
Jun 3rd 2019, 15:20

W4QDC

Please change my email forwarding address from: suterjm73@gmail.com to: suterjm@comcast.net effective immediatelyl
Jun 17th 2019, 09:19

W1VT

Super Moderator

For further assistance with your @arrl.net forwarding service, Contact Us at circulation@arrl.org
Oct 14th 2020, 21:28

KE3AW

Re: Changes in my email effective immediately. Is there a page on the site I'm missing? Where does one alter the ARRL.NET forwarding information? My new server is RCN, not SECTV, so I need to have the new forward email address as:

bobgre1@rcn.com.

bobgre1@rcn.com (no longer bobgre1@ptd.net).

Address for my Profile has changed from 346
Oct 15th 2020, 08:16

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://www.arrl.org/Users/edit

Go to your profile page to change your email address.
Jun 18th 2022, 07:40

K7IWW

The answers here (11/15/2018 to 19/15/2020 are apparently no longer operative. They should probably be updated. One instruction takes the user to an online form for setting up *club* -- not individual -- email forwarding. Trying to figure out how to opt in as an idiviual and change the parameters later is pretty mysterious. I hate having to tie up HQ staff with something that should be very easy via the member portal. Even for us dolts.

Jul 13th 2022, 09:46

W1LZ

Went to profile page and changed email address 4 days ago to w1lz@comcast.net. w1lz@arrl.net still forwards to old email address on gmail.
Jul 23rd 2022, 13:54

awbonnot@verizon.net

I haven't been able to receive a message from the @arrl.net email forwarding service for several months. Has something changed? It seems like this roughly coincided with a system migration to occurred this spring. Is there some new setting I need to do? I've looked all over my profile pages and I don't see anywhere where we can 'Opt In' or 'Opt Out' for this service any more.
r/
Andy - K5QR
Jul 27th 2022, 14:20

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://home.arrl.org/action/My-Account/Contact-Information
Aug 7th 2022, 23:58

W9CBS

Under the link you provided I don't have any option to activate email forwarding, and this has been missing since the migration to the new ARRL website. Any ideas on how to get his restored?

When I called ARRL support several months ago they said the feature was still broken. I guess I'll try calling in again to see what's up.
Sep 4th 2022, 23:27

reddybiggs

Does the email forwarding work ? I have set it up on my account page, but whenever I send a test message from a different account, it gets :
Remote Server returned '554 5.1.1 '

Is this member benefit discontinued, or not working ? I use this address on my APRS beacon.
Sep 4th 2022, 23:27

reddybiggs

Does the email forwarding work ? I have set it up on my account page, but whenever I send a test message from a different account, it gets :
Remote Server returned '554 5.1.1 '

Is this member benefit discontinued, or not working ? I use this address on my APRS beacon.
Jan 20th 2023, 23:38

W1ACB

just joined the arrl again after a few years layoff, is the email service no longer available ?
Feb 3rd 2023, 13:15

W1VT

Super Moderator

How do I use the @arrl.net forwarding service?-

To opt in for @arrl.net:

Login to your ARRL account
Click on your name at the top of the screen
Click on Contact Information in the Communication tab
Click on Add New Email Address
Select ARRL.NET Forwarding in the Email Location drop down
Enter email address you would like the mail forwarded to
Click Save
Note: If you select your username to be something other than your call sign, please keep in mind your e-mail alias will still be @arrl.net and not @arrl.net.
The @arrl.net alias is a forwarding service only, POP3 is not supported.

To Test Your @arrl.net Alias
*Please allow approximately 6 hours for the e-mail forwarding service to activate after you have selected or modified the information*

Please send a test e-mail from an account other than the address in the "E-mail" field in your profile. Test messages cannot be sent to yourself.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn