ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

OCF in Inverted V support point

Sep 17th, 00:56

K7IOC

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have a commercially made OCF antenna. I would like to mount it in Inverted V using a single support. Q: should it be suspended at the feed point OR from the physical center i.e half way between the ends like a normal dipole? The former would be asymetrical and would presumably distort the radiation pattern making is a bit directional. The latter might give a more uniform pattern around the horizon? Maybe not enough difference to matter?
Sep 21st, 00:37

danazlin

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Can't address the pattern off hand (as that is usually a function of the OCF ant design... where your mileage may vary), but two concerns about the mechanics are worth mentioning.
First, the center point is good for support when the weight distribution is equal on both legs of the antenna. But the OCF feedpoint will weight down one leg and potentially cause problems. You might mitigate that with a secondary support under the feedpoint to support its additional weight.
Secondly, the feedline is usually positioned to exit the feedpoint at 90 degrees from the plane of the antenna when configured as a horizontal dipole. Moving too far from 90 degrees can alter the Z match to the antenna depending on how the matching system is configured. Running the feedline 90 degrees from the plane of the feed leg down to the center support and then down to the ground will likely give the best performance.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn